December 1, 2020
Michigan’s new auto insurance reform law made big headlines in 2020 and brought many changes to the way our Members make coverage selections for their auto insurance.
Here’s one bit of important information that you may not know about: If you chose coverage options that are less than the state default coverages, and you want to keep your chosen coverages at subsequent renewals, the law requires you to complete forms to reaffirm your selections with each renewal
- If your chosen coverages are less than Unlimited for PIP AE, you will need to return the applicable form(s) at renewal.
- If your chosen BI limits are $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident or $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident, you must sign and return the Michigan Bodily Injury Liability Coverage form, or the policy will revert to state default limits.
This must be done at each renewal, per the State of Michigan. If you take no action, the respective state default coverage(s) will be applied to your policy, and your premium cost will increase
. It’s best to have your agent help complete the forms.
- If your current limits are Unlimited Personal Injury Protection Allowable Expenses Coverage (PIP AE) and $250,000 per person/$500,000 per accident or higher for Bodily Injury Coverage (BI), and you choose to select these limits at renewal, all you need to do is pay your renewal bill.
Medical Proof is required for some PIP AE limit selections. The PIP AE options that require completion of forms and submission of medical proof(s) are:
- $250,000 Per Person Per Accident with PIP AE Exclusion
- $50,000 Per Person Per Accident
- No PIP Allowable Expenses Coverage
Medical proof is required at every renewal. Please contact your agent for help.
Your Meemic renewal includes a preselected Michigan Selection of Personal Injury Protection Allowable Expenses Coverage form and the Michigan Bodily Injury Liability Coverage form in addition to your renewal packet. These forms indicate your current PIP AE and BI limits that will apply to your renewal. You will receive this packet based on your preferred delivery method: eSignature or USPS mail. These forms will be sent separately from your renewal packet.
As always, we are here to help provide you information about these choices. Please feel free to call our offices. You can also visit Meemic.com/Reform
for a variety of tools and other information regarding the auto reform law.
*Your new PIP coverage options are for Allowable Expenses coverage, a component of PIP (PIP AE), that includes but is not limited to medical expenses. Please note that certain PIP AE options have eligibility requirements that apply to the named insured and all resident relatives and may vary depending on the option. Please see the No-Fault Act for complete details. Discounts and savings opportunities subject to eligibility requirements. Coverage is subject to all policy terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations. Subject to underwriting eligibility requirements. Insurance underwritten by Meemic Insurance Company, 1685 N. Opdyke Rd., Auburn Hills, MI 48326.