View All News
Questions & Feedback
Need to File a Claim? Meemic Insurance Tips Help Homeowners Navigate the Process.
Detroit, Michigan, May 28, 2014 – Following up one of the harshest winters in recent memory with a cold, windy and rainy spring has led to a high level of claims activity for many Michigan insurance providers. Weather-related damages — fire, wind, hail, lightning, water damage and freezing — are the most common claims and also usually the most costly. Meemic Insurance Company (Meemic.com), an insurance provider offering personal auto, homeowners, boat, and umbrella coverages to teachers and other educational employees, offers the following advice to help homeowners understand and successfully navigate the claims process.
Before the Storm:
- Complete a home inventory using video or photos to make it easier to determine what was lost.
- Store essential documents, files and other items in a secure, protected location.
- Try to keep copies of receipts or other transaction documents.
- Know what is and, more importantly, what is not covered by your policy.
After Damage Has Occurred:
- Call your agent or insurance company immediately. Many insurance companies, including Meemic, have claims professionals available to help seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
- If it’s possible to do safely, take necessary steps to protect your property from further damage.
- Make reasonable repairs to protect property, but take photos and keep a record of expenses.
- Don’t dispose of any damaged property until approval has been given by your insurance carrier or an adjuster has visited your home to assess the damage.
- Prepare an inventory of damaged and/or stolen property, providing a description of the item, quantity, age, replacement cost and amount of loss claimed. Attach all bills, receipts and related documents that substantiate the figures in the inventory.
- If possible, obtain an estimate from a contractor of your choosing for any structural damage.
- Beware of unscrupulous contractors that ask for large cash deposits or charge extra for quick repairs.
About Meemic Insurance Company
Meemic Insurance Company provides personal lines insurance products to teachers and other educational employees in Michigan and Wisconsin. For more than 63 years, Meemic remains a Michigan-based company, proud partner of the educational community, committed to offering the finest possible protection, products and services at preferred rates. Trust Meemic for claims excellence, policy payment options to meet your needs and products tailored exclusively to the educational community we serve. Meemic is a financially strong company (A. M. Best rating effective December 2013). Our stability and reputation for integrity builds the confidence of our policyholders and remains the foundation for our continued mission to serve the educational community.
MEDIA CONTACT: Jeremy Bakken, email@example.com
Lambert, Edwards & Associates, 616-233-0500