Plan Now for Your Child’s Insurance at College

Share this Article

  • Email

July 12, 2022

If your child is gearing up to attend college, they will leave the comforts of home to likely be on their own for the first time.

And while they and their belongings have been under the protective custody of you and your insurance, now that they will be living away, they may not be as responsible as you are.

Whether they are living in a dorm or sharing an apartment with other students, they are sure to have with them a laptop, maybe a tablet, a smartphone, TV and more. Lots can go wrong, like theft of an item or damage to their belongings.

Now is a good time to take stock of your insurance and what kind of coverage is available to college students.

On- or off-campus living

You’ll be happy to know that you may be able to extend your homeowner’s policy to cover them and their stuff when they are away at school, especially while living in a dorm on campus.

If your child lives off campus and not in a dorm, your homeowner’s policy will not fully cover them. The rules change depending on where they live, and if they are in an apartment or house, they may need a separate renter’s policy.

So if your child lives in a dorm the first year and then moves into a rental with friends, you should seriously consider getting a renter’s policy for them.


If your child is taking a car with them, the insurance you need will depend on whether the vehicle is in your name or theirs.

The cost of coverage for the vehicle will change depending on where your child is staying and where the car is kept. If they are going out of state, you will need to inform us.

On the other hand, if your child isn’t bringing a car, you should consider keeping them on your policy. They may drive a friend’s car while at school or may want to drive when they come home on school breaks.

This information is being provided for general informational purposes only. Meemic Insurance Company does not assume any liability in connection with providing this information. Coverage is subject to all policy terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations. Subject to underwriting eligibility requirements. Insurance underwritten by Meemic Insurance Company, 1685 N. Opdyke Rd., Auburn Hills, MI  48326.
Questions & Feedback