Questions & Feedback
Spring/Summer Storms — Be Aware & Prepared
Meemic wants to help you to be aware and prepared to protect your family and property during a spring storm. Meemic has prepared this checklist to cover the critical steps you can take to ensure a quick response to any storm damage.
Report Your Claim Quickly
Once you are sure that you and your family are safe, report your claim to Meemic as soon as possible. Claims can be reported seven days a week, 24 hours a day online and by calling 800-231-5770. Meemic’s claims staff will partner with you to ensure your family’s safety and security.
After reporting your claim, here are some additional steps that will assist you with the claims process and ways to protect your property from further damage:
- Cover broken windows and holes to keep rain out.
- Do not go onto your roof to assess damage as this may be unsafe.
- Get an itemized estimate for damages.
- If you need the services of a roofer, be sure they are licensed and carry general liability insurance.
- If you lose power, be sure to use any portable emergency generators or heating systems in strict accordance with manufacturer’s instructions. Be sure to consider the health and safety implications of potential carbon monoxide build-up in enclosed areas.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed in order to keep food frozen for up to two days.
- If affected by flood, turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of your home, but only when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock. Be sure to maintain power to any sump pump or system that is designed to remove sub-surface water.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Move any paintings, art objects, computers, documents (or any other items that are valuable or sensitive to moisture) to a safe, dry place.
- Take photos or video of damaged areas if repairs must be completed immediately.
- Keep detailed receipts of any expenses related to safeguarding your property.
- Do not dispose of any damaged property until approval is given from your Meemic claims representative.
- Do not make permanent repairs unless advised or authorized by your Meemic claims representative.
- Beware of disreputable contractors who take advantage of people following a storm.
- Use only licensed and bonded contractors.
- Keep your cell phone fully charged in case of a power outage.
For automobile damage
- Only move/operate the vehicle if it is safe to do so.
- Protect the vehicle from additional damages (if the interior or other critical components are exposed).
- Locate a participating Educated Choice® Repair Program shop.
Return to our Safety & Information Center for more information on a variety of safety topics.
This information is being provided for general informational purposes only. Meemic Insurance Company does not assume any liability in connection with providing this information.