Questions & Feedback
Auto Theft Prevention
Keep Your Car — Yours
Whether you’re at school, out running errands or parked at home, there are some tried-and-true ways to keep your car safe — like always locking your doors. Here are a few more ideas from Meemic that can help keep your car and possessions out of the hands of thieves.
Also, learn 5 auto theft myths.
Vehicle Theft Prevention Tips
- Take extra precautions during spring and summer months when vehicle thefts and break-ins are most common.
- Park in an enclosed garage or well-lit area whenever possible to prevent vehicle theft or a break-in.
- When parking on the street, turn your steering wheel toward the curb until it locks to make it more difficult for a thief to tow.
- Avoid storing personal items in your vehicle — especially pricey items like laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD players or GPS devices. If you need to store an item in your vehicle, keep it locked in the trunk.
- Never leave your purse or wallet unattended in your vehicle.
- Think about equipping your car with various anti-theft devices, such as alarms and anti-hot-wiring devices. The more visible they are, they more they'll deter thieves.
- When you buy car stereo equipment, choose items that can be removed and locked in the trunk.
- Keep a photocopy of your vehicle’s registration and proof of insurance in a secure place at home. Also, keep a list of any items in your vehicle or additional equipment because you’ll need this information if your vehicle is broken into or stolen.